Hachiya Persimmon Jam, for a Low Carb Diet
No added sugar Hachiya Persimmon Jam is a perfect addition to your low carb diet menu, because the natural sweetness will satisfy any sweet tooth.
Luckily, the sweet hachiya persimmon lends itself to be the perfect ingredient in making sweet treats, with no extra sugar needed! Following a low carb diet can be hard at times, especially for those of us who have a sweet tooth! The following recipe for persimmon jam is adapted from The Gracious Pantry. This jam is very simple to make and is perfect for adding to plain Greek yogurt to satisfy any sugar cravings while maintaining your low carb diet!
Hachiya persimmons are best used when they are very ripe. They should feel very soft to the touch, similar to a rotten tomato. If your persimmons are not ripe enough, let them sit on a sunny window ledge for a few days, or place them in a paper bag with an apple to help speed the ripening process.
Hachiya Persimmon Jam (makes 3-4 medium mason jars)
- Persimmon Jam
- You will need a sieve, and 3-4 jam jars. This beautiful Persimmon Jam is so tart, sweat and tasty, with minimum added sugars. Perfect for a low carb addition.
- 3.33itemshachiya persimmon very ripe (fill 5 quart slow cooker)
- 0.67TBS cinnamon ground
- 0.33cuplemon juice
- 4.67cups water
- Put 6 cups of water and cinnamon in a large slow cooker.
- Wash and remove the tops from your hachiya persimmons, then cut into quarters. Fill your slow cooker, put the lid on and cook overnight. They will be brown when they are finished cooking.
- Work in small batches as you mash the persimmons through a sieve into a large bowl. You should have something similar to apple sauce when you are finished.
- Measure out 4 cups of the sauce and place in a large pot. Add remaining ingredients (including the remaining 1 cup of water) and cook, stirring frequently, until you start to see the fruit “gel” or “clump”. It won’t be the entire pot that does this, just a little from the bottom of the pot when you stir.
- Once you see this, immediately remove from heat and pour into jars. Allow jars to cool for an hour, then store in the fridge.
Any remaining sauce not used in the jam making process can be frozen for next time.
Persimmons are filled with vitamins, phytochemicals, anti-oxidants, and a natural delicious sweetness that truly makes them a super fruit. Enjoying them in new ways like this jam is a great way to add variety to your low carb diet while satisfying your sweet tooth at the same time!
By Ashley Picanco